Do You Need a Specialized Real Estate Agent?

If you have started a search for a real estate agent, you might have already realized that most
agents tout themselves as experts on a type of property they typically work with—local
experts, lakefront experts, luxury condo experts, etc. There are times when working with a
specialized agent with advanced designations is important.

The National Association of Realtors® offers advanced designations to help consumers choose
the right agent for their needs. Here are just a few certifications that addres unique

• Military Relocation Professional – (MRP): These specialists have been trained on
benefits and programs available for military families, and have expertise in VA funding.

• Short Sales and Foreclosure Resource – (SFR): Navigating the lender requirements for selling a distressed property requires expertise. These agents have been trained to help
homeowners in these situations.

• Green Designations – (GREEN): A GREEN agent can offer information about sustainable
building, restoration, remodeling, and energy efficiency standards.

• Accredited Buyer’s Representative – (ABR): Agents with this designation have learned
how to offer homebuyers superior service.

• Certified Residential Specialist – (CRS): This is the highest credential awarded to
residential agents and guarantees a high level of experience.

• Seniors Real Estate Specialist – (SRES): Agents with this specialized certification are
specially equipped to help senior citizens with their real estate needs.

• Real Estate Negotiation Expert – (RENE): This certification means the agent has taken
negotiation classes with NAR and has passed advanced technique training.

Not everyone needs a real estate specialist, but these National Association of Realtors®
specialized certifications can help you find the right agent for your unique needs.